Part P building regulations. SES Electrical Contractors provide certificates to meet the Part P requirements based in Chiswick, London

SES - Part P (NICEIC) Electrician in Chiswick, London

SES is an NICEIC Part P Approved company and certificates are issued on all electrical work to meet the requirements of Part P and to meet the requirements of the 17th edition of BS7671 2008.

Part P NICEIC electrician Stourbridge

Part P of the Building Regulations

Part P came into effect in England and Wales on the 1st January 2005. It is now a legal requirement for all work on fixed electrical installations in dwellings and associated buildings to comply with relevant standards. The relevant UK standard is BS 7671: 2010, 'Requirements for electrical installations' (The IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition). BS 7671 covers requirements for design, installation, inspection, testing, verification and certification.

To what types of electrical work does Part P apply?

  • In a dwelling
  • In the common parts of buildings serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts
  • In a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling, and
  • In a garden or in or on land associate with a building where the electricity supply is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling

The term dwelling includes houses, maisonettes and flats. It also apply to electrical installations in business premises that share an electricity supply with dwellings, such as shops and public houses with a flat above. The common parts of buildings includes access areas in blocks of flats such as hallways and shared amenities in blocks of flats such as laundries and gymnasiums. Part P applies to electrical installations located in outbuildings such as detached garages, sheds and greenhouses.
Part P applies to parts of electrical installations located on land around dwellings such as garden lighting. Part P applies to electrical installations that operate at voltages not exceeding 1000 V a.c. Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits. Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors and in other special locations. (See below).

Will all electrical work need Building Regulations approval?

No. In general, notification will need to be given to, or full plans deposited with, a building control body only if the work is major involving one or more complete new circuits, and is not being carried out by an electrical contractor registered with an authorised competent person self-certification scheme.

What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

  • Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
  • Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (note a)
  • Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (note b)
  • Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (note c)
  • Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (note d) and consists of:
  • Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (note e)
  • Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (note e)
  • Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (note f)

(a) On condition that the replacement cable has the same current-carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board
(b) If the circuit's protective measures are unaffected
(c) If the circuit's protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation
(d) Special locations and installations are listed below
(e) Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory
(f) Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations

Special locations and installations

  • Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin
  • Swimming pools or paddling pools
  • Hot air saunas
  • Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
  • Garden lighting or power installations
  • Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems
  • Small scale generators such as microCHP
  • Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets

What are competent person self-certification schemes?

Electrical contractors who register with a competent person self-certification scheme will be able to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations whenever they carry out 'notifiable' work. Persons who are not registered with a self-certification scheme - including DIYers - will need to notify or submit plans to a building control body, unless the work is non-notifiable as described above.

Contact Byron to find out more or to arrange a free quote.

back to electrical services

Get in touch

You can use this form to send us a message. Please provide a telephone number or email address so we can get back to you.

Tel No: